BioactiveLayer new packaging is formed by a multilayer structure based on biodegradable polymers with novel and active properties, to achieve a shelf life of 24 months:
• Low permeability to oxygen
• Final materials comply with European Food safety and with biodegradability standards
In detail, it covers all the next main requirements:
• Low permeability to oxygen: (<1 cc/m2 day bar) the objective is reached with a value (<0.05 cc/m2 day bar), carbon dioxide and water vapor (<1 g/m2 day) values are lower than current multilayer biodegradable materials, however are in the range of 5-6 g/m2 day.
• Concentration of oxygen in a food package has to be kept as low as possible in order to reduce oxidative degradation (a decrease from 21% to 15-16% in headspace has been achieved), as well as moisture (<1% headspace volume), to preserve product quality.
• Developed materials reached mechanical requirements, are resistant to fats and are opaque, so it will guarantee oxidative processes caused by light transmittance.
• Final materials comply with European Food safety regulations so it should be marketable.
• Waste management: final packaging material complies with biodegradability standards